History Of John F. Kennedy International Airport
John F. Kennedy International Airport (IATA: JFK; ICAO: KJFK) that is also often named as Kennedy Airport, New York - JFK, JFK Airport, or directly Kennedy was opened back in July 1948. However, its initial name was far from what it is now. The airport was known as Idlewild Airport up until 1963 when it was renamed in honor of the 35th President of the United States, John F. Kennedy.
The construction of the airport started in 1943, a total of US$60 million was granted by the U.S. government. However, only 1,000 acres of the original airport building was constructed. The airport was changing named so many times, that it is sometimes might a bit confusing. Thus, as already mentioned, when the project of the airport has started to be implemented in life, it was called Idlewild Airport. Then, however, it was renamed to Major General Alexander E. Anderson Airport, in honor of the Federalized National Guard commander who died in 1942. Later on, in 1948, the airport changed its name to New York International Airport, Anderson Field. But it was still commonly known as ‘Idlewild.’
The first ever flight operated from the airport took place on July 1, 1948, during the opening ceremony held on the territory of the airport and visited by the U.S. President Harry S. Truman.
The airfield was first constructed with only six runways and seven additional ones that were under construction. Two of those were never opened.
The initial airport project compiled the construction of a single terminal with 55 boarding gates spread across it. However, the decision was not approved by the airlines operating from the airport. The administration of those claimed that building a single terminal is not the best idea. As each of the airlines required to provide them with enough space for their operations. Thus, it was later decided to build seven separate terminals that would host each of the primary airlines operating at the JFK Airport.